Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A Perspective of Things II

Jeremiah 29 - 33 (5 Chapters!) - Old Testament, The Bible
Isaiah 40:31

My devotion led me to a very strange part of the Bible - Jeremiah, the Weeping Prophet. Maybe there is much to weep about, considering the conditions of my life, especially my heart. Okay, before I take a knife and kill myself (juz kidding), let examine the theological underpinnings of the above verses.

Jere 29:11 - "I have plans for you...give you a future ( 'Arkhareeth' in Hebraic)"
Jere 29:12 - "...call upon Me...I will listen to you..."
Jere 29:13 - "...you will seek me...& FIND Me..."
Jere 30:11 - "...I am with you...to save you..."
Jere 30:17 - "...I will restore you...heal you of your wounds..."
Jere 31:3 - "I have loved you with an everlasting love..."
Jere 31:17 - "...there is hope for your future ('Arkhareeth')..."
Jere 32:17 - "...nothing is too difficult for Thee..."
Jere 33:3 - "...Call to Me...I will ANSWER you..."

So many gems, but I will broadly categorize it into 3 parts:

1. Jere 29:11-13 (What He Wants - Prayerer)
The Lord is looking for seekers & worshippers, & the key is to seek Him with ALL our hearts. That is the only requirement of a true spirit of worship and the mark of a genuine seeker. All our hearts, and all others is bull-shit...crap...cannot make it one...
2. Jere 32: 17 (What He Is - Powerful)
Nothing is too difficult for Him, yes, even my heart conditions is not too difficult for Him to change. But I need to ask of God, because He wants us to know that He is ABLE, and He is WILLING, and He CAN.
3. Jere 33:3 (What He Does - Promise Keeping)
God promises He will answer; He wants, desires, and eagers to hear and answer our prayers. What am I waiting for? Here, God make it clear that the norm is answered prayers! His policy is answered requests!! The last time I glance at His book, He did not change that policy!!!

Okay, I am trying too hard to come out with 3 "P"s again. But the take-home-message is still the same: You pray, He answers, powerfully. Period.

The athelete of Olympic has always known this motto: "Stronger, Higher, Swifter" ("Fortius, Altius, Citius")
Guess what: The Prophet Isaiah actually drew an amazing paralllel to this motto in Isa 40:31.
"They that wait...shall renew their strength" speaks of stronger.
"They shall mount up with wings as eagles..." speaks of higher.
"They shall run and not be weary..." speaks of swifter.

Now, prayer is central to both part of these scriptures. The secret to this type of 'spiritual stamina and performance' is anchored by "waiting upon the Lord". Such an old, familiar truth, yet still so vital and powerful in the walk and race of a believer.

Sometime ago, someone challenged me to go back to the reading, yes, just mere reading of God's word.
Now, the challenge seems to be go back to prayer. I wonder what's next.

Okay, I will read and pray, then pray and read, read-read, pray-pray, but just don't play-play. I trust that something miraculous will start to take place. I am expecting, anticipating, hoping. God, help me. I know You will answer. This is also a perspective of things. This is also "Hor ehh...!"

No comments: