Dear brethren, you are about to read a true account of the experience
of a British soldier who was critically wounded in the War of Independence at
the Battle of Bunker’s Hill. Taken from “The Journal of the American War”, it
was sent by Major Aberfeld, an orthopedic surgeon from the 130th
General Hospital. In his last and final letter to his beloved wife, John
describes the magnitude of the grace, peace and joy that he found in the
presence of God as he was about to enter into glory of the Lord. Brethren, let
too draw nearer to our wonderful Savior regardless of our physical degradation
and truly enjoy the inner joy, grace and peace that is found only in Christ
Jesus!
Yesterday we had a bloody and obstinate fight, in which many were killed, and numbers wounded. I have received two balls, one in my groin, and another near the breast. I am now so weak with the loss of blood, that I can hardly dictate these few lines, as the last tribute of my unchangeable love to you. The surgeons inform me that three hours will be the utmost I can survive. Atlas, too true was the dire presage that brooded my mind, that we should never meet again on this side of awful eternity.
During our passage from England to America, I gave myself up to read
the Bible, as it was the only book I was possessed of. The Almighty Parent of
mankind was pleased to draw my heart to Him, by the sweet attraction of His
grace and at the same time to enlighten my mind. There was in our regiment a
corporal, whose name was Pierce, a pious man; I inquire after him, and we soon
contracted a strong friendship. He was pleased to explain to me the amazing
love of God, in giving His Son Jesus Christ to bleed & die for mankind. He condescended
to unfold to me the mystery of salvation by faith, the nature of the new birth,
and the great necessity of holiness of heart and life. In short, he became my
spiritual father; and under God, to him I owe all the good I am acquainted
with.
Soon after we landed, God was pleased to speak peace to my soul. Oh the
bliss, the unutterable joy that I then felt through the blood of the Lamb! How
did I long to tell all the world what Jesus had done for me! But how did I long,
yes, burn to have you to taste and know the love of God in Christ Jesus! I
would have given all the world to have been with you, to have informed you of
the pearl of great price. As we shall never meet more in this vale of tears,
let me impose this last, this dying obligation upon you; and if I was dear to
you, let me beg of you not to neglect the last advice of your departing
husband. It is, that you give yourself up to God, read the Bible, the good
books, and be often found among them who inquire after salvation. And the Lord
shall guide you in His ways. O endeavor to bring up the dear little ones in
the fear of God. Never fix your heart upon the vain and unsubstantial things of
the world. Heaven and the love of God are the only things that demand our
hearts, or at least are worthy of engrossing them.
And you, my dear infants, though you have not the perfect knowledge of
your worthless father, I beg of you to meet me in the realms of bliss. The God
that blessed Jacob and Joseph shall bless you. Seek Him and He will be found of
you; call upon Him, and He will hear and bless you. What was the world but sin
and sorrow? The rich are oppressed with wealth; and the poor are groaning for
the want of that which the others are burdened with. The men in power are
affected with holding the reins, and guiding the helm; and the governed are
oppressed with imaginary evils. The life of a soldier is filled with dangers
and deaths. A city life is full of confusion and strife; and that of the
country is loaded with toil and labor. But the evil of all evils, flows from
our own sinful nature. Whatever we are, we may be happy; we have the key to
bliss on our own breasts. The world itself never made any one happy. God is the
bliss and solace of a reasonable soul; and God is everywhere, and we have
everywhere access to Him. Learn then, my dear children, when you grow up, to
seek your permanent happiness in God, through a crucified Redeemer.
My dear wife, I shall smile to see you combat sin, conquer the world, & subdue the flesh. How I shall smile to meet you in the bright frontiers of
heaven. These hands shall weave for you – the wreath triumphant! I first shall
hail you welcome to your native mansions! I first shall guide you to the celestial
city, and introduce you to the sacred throne of our God, where we will together
bow, transported at the feet of the ever adorable Jesus. Then, then, will we
strike our melodious harps of gold, in the most exalted strain of harmony and
love. The shall our love be consummated, refined & eternalized!
The world recedes, it disappears
Heaven opens my eyes, my ears
With sounds seraphic ring:
Lend, lend your wings, I mount, I fly!
Oh! Grave where is thy victory?
Oh Death! Where is thy sting?
More would I say, but life ebbs out apace; my tongue ceases to perform
its office; bright angels stand round the gory turn on which I be, ready to
escort me to the arms of my Jesus; bending saints reveal my shining crown, and
beckon me away; yea, methinks, my Jesus bids me come. Adieu! Adieu! Dear Love.
John Randon
No comments:
Post a Comment